Manuscript Number : CSEIT1725161
Image Segmentation Technique - A study on Region Growing Approaches
Authors(1) :-J. Magelin Mary
Region growing is an iterative process by which regions are merged starting from individual pixels or initial segmentation and grow iteratively until every pixel is processed. Region is grown from the seed pixel by adding in neighbouring pixels that are similar, increasing the size of the region. In this paper, the main aim is to study the Region growing approaches for image segmentation.
J. Magelin Mary
Asst. Professor, Holy Cross College, Tiruchirappalli, India
Region Growing, Pixel, Splite And Merge, Segmentation
- Palus, H. and Bereska, D. 1999]. Region-based colour image segmentation, Silesian University of Technology, Department of Automatic Control.
- S.W.Zucker, "Region growing: Childhood and adolescence", Computer Graphics and Image Processing, pp.382-399, 1976.
- J.R. Beveridge, et al. Segmenting images using localized histograms and region merging. IJCV, 2(3):311–352, 1989.
- L. Liu and S. Sclaroff. Deformable shape detection and description via model-based region grouping. CVPR, II:21–27, 1999.
- S.C. Zhu and A. Yuille. Region competition: Unifying snakes, region growing, and Bayes/MDL for multiband image segmentation. PAMI, 18(9):884–900, 1996.
- R. Ohlander, K. Price, D.R. Reddy, "Picture segmentation usingrecursive region Splitting method", Computer Image Processing, Vol. 8, pp. 313-333, 1978.
- R. Adams and L. Bischof, "Seeded Region Growing", IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 16, pp. 641-647, 1994.
- SA. Hojjatoleslami, J. Kittler, "Region Growing: A new approach", IEEE Transactions of Image Processing, Vol. 7, No. 7, pp.1079-1084,2000.
- X. Yu, J. Yla-Jaaski, "A New Algorithm for Image Segmentation based on Region Growing and Edge Detection" Proc. International conference on Circuits and System, Vol.1, pp. 5 16-519, 1991.
- J. H. Xuan, T. Adali, and Y Wang, "Segmentation of Magnetic Resonance Brain Image: Integrating Region Growing and Edge Detection," Proc. International Conference on Image Processing, Vol. 3, pp. 544-547, 1995.
- R.D. Stewart, I. Fermin and M.Opper, "Region growing with pulse coupled neural Networks: An alternative to seeded region growing", IEEE Transactions on "Neural Networks", Vol. 13, pp. 1557-1562, 2002.
- Hao Xiaohui, C. Bruce, C. Pislaru, J.F. Greenleaf, "A novel region growing method for segmenting ultrasound images", IEEE Symposium Ultrasonics, Vol. 2, pp. 1717 – 1720, 2000.
- R. Beare, "Regularized Seeded Region Growing", CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences, pp. 91-99, 2002.
- Shu Yen Wan and William. E. Higgins, "Symmetric Region Growing", in IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 1196-1199, 2000.
- Yu-Bu Lee, Soo Min Song, Jae Sung Lee, Myoung Hee Kim, "Tumor segmentation from small animal PET using region growing based on gradient magnitude", Proceedings of 7th International Workshop on Image processing, pp. 243-247, 2005.
- Runzhen Huang, Kwan Liu Ma, "RGVis: Region Growing Based Techniques for Volume Visulization", 11th Pacific Conference on Computer Graphics and Applications, pp. 355-363,2003.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 07-11
Manuscript Number : CSEIT1725161
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
URL : http://ijsrcseit.com/CSEIT1725161