Manuscript Number : CSEIT172633
Digital Image Processing Techniques in Character Recognition - A Survey
Authors(3) :-Dr. Marlapalli Krishna, Gunupusala Satyanarayana, V. Devi Satya Sri
The digital image processing (DIP) has been employed in a number of areas, particularly for feature extraction and to obtain patterns of digital images. Recognition of characters is a novel problem, and although, currently there are widely-available digital image processing algorithms and implementations that are able to detect characters from images, selection of an appropriate technique that can straightforwardly acclimatize to diverse types of images, that are very specific or complex is very important. This paper presents a brief overview of digital image processing techniques such as image restoration, image enhancements, and feature extraction, a framework for processing images and aims at presenting an adaptable digital image processing method for recognition of characters in digital images.
Dr. Marlapalli Krishna
Associate professor, Sir C. R. Reddy College of Engineering, Eluru, West Godavari Dt, Andhra Pradesh, India
Assistant Professor, Sir C. R. Reddy College of Engineering, Eluru, West Godavari Dt, Andhra Pradesh, India
V. Devi Satya Sri
M. Tech Student, Sir C. R. Reddy College of Engineering, Eluru, West Godavari Dt, Andhra Pradesh, India
Image Processing, Digital Image Processing, Thresholding, Morphological Thinning, Hough Transform, Character Recognition, Digital Image Processing
- Almohri, H., , J. S., & Alnajjar, H. (2008). A Real-time DSP-Based Optical Character Recognition System for Isolated Arabic characters using the TI TMS320C6416T. In Proceedings of The 2008 IAJC-IJME International Conference.
- Anagnostopoulos, C. N., Anagnostopoulos, I. E., Loumos, V., & Kayafas, E. (2006). A license plate-recognition algorithm for intelligent transportation system applications. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 7(3), 377-392.
- Basu, J. K., Bhattacharyya, D., & Kim, T.-h. (2010). Use of Artificial Neural Network in Pattern Recognition. International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications, 4(2), 23-34.
- Cho, T. S., Zitnick, C. L., Joshi, N., Kang, S. B., Szeliski, R., & Freeman, W. T. (2012). Image restoration by matching gradient distributions. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 34(4), 683-694.
- Dash, T., & Nayak, T. (2012). Non-Correlated Character Recognition using Artificial Neural Network. In Proceedings of National Conference on Dynamics and Prospects of Data Mining: Theory and Practices (pp. 79-83). India: OITS-BLS.
- Deodhare, D., Suri, N. R., & Amit, R. (2005). Preprocessing and Image Enhancement Algorithms for a Form-based Intelligent Character Recognition System. International Journal of Computer Science and Application, 2(2), 131-144.
- Felzenszwalb, P. F., & Huttenlocher, D. P. (2004). Efficient Graph-Based Image Segmentation. International Journal of Computer Vision, 59(2), 167-181.
- Kaur, K., & Sharma, M. (2013). A Method for Binary Image Thinning using Gradient and Watershed Algorithm. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, 3(1), 287-290.
- Khan, K., Siddique, M., Aamir, M., & Khan, R. (2012). An Efficient Method for Urdu Language Text Search in Image Based Urdu Text. International Journal of Computer Science Issues, 9(2), 523-527.
- Kranthi, S., Pranathi, K., & Srisaila, A. (2011). Automatic Number Plate Recognition. International Journal of Advancements in Technology, 2(3), 408-422.
- Maini, R., & Aggarwal, H. (2009). Study and Comparison of Various Image Edge Detection Techniques. International Journal of Image Processing, 3(1), 1-11.
- Maini, R., & Aggarwal, H. (2010). A Comprehensive Review of Image Enhancement Techniques. Jounal of Computing, 2(3), 8-13.
- Maji, S., & Malik, J. (2009). Object detection using a max-margin hough transform. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (pp. 1038-1045). Miami, Florida: IEEE.
- Mittal, A., & Dubey, S. K. (2013). Analysis of MRI Images of Rheumatoid Arthritis through Morphological Image Processing Techniques. International Journal of Computer Science Issues, 10(2), 118-122.
- Parker, J. R. (2010). Algorithms for image processing and computer vision. John Wiley & Sons.
- Pradeep, J., Srinivasan, E., & Himavathi, S. (2011). Diagonal based feature extraction for handwritten alphabets recognition system using neural network. International Journal of Computer Science & Information Technology, 3(1), 27-38.
- Samantaray, R. K., Panda, S., & Pradhan, D. (2011). Application of Digital Image Processing and Analysis in Healthcare Based on Medical Palmistry. IJCA Special Issue on Intelligent Systems and Data Processing, 56-59.
- Sharma, D. V., Saini, G., & Joshi, M. (2012). Statistical Feature Extraction Methods for Isolated Handwritten Gurumukhi Script. International Journal of Engineering Research and Application, 2(4), 380-384.
- Solomon, C., & Breckon, T. (2011). Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing: A practical approach with examples in Matlab. John Wiley & Sons.
- Trier, O. D., Jain, A. K., & Taxt, T. (1996). Feature extraction methods for character recognition- A survey. Pattern Recognition, 29(4), 641-662.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 95-101
Manuscript Number : CSEIT172633
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
URL : http://ijsrcseit.com/CSEIT172633